John's Greatest Adventure Ever

This blog is to document my "Greatest Adventure Ever." Over the next nine months - I will be traveling through China, SE Asia, and Oceania.

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Beach Bum goes to Sea

So I just got back to land a 1/2 hour ago. I think I'm still rocking a bit from side to side, but it might be the overwhelming fatigue that I'm pretty sure will sink in once I'm on my bus ride this afternoon which will take me further north.

After a brief stopover in Rockhampton with a friend of a friend of a friend, I was back on the bus up to Airlie Beach. Airlie Beach is a very touristy little backpacker place. The beach is actually pretty crappy considering it's namesake. There's heaps of souvenir shops and bars. On Saturday, I boarded a little vessel called Powerplay - not a sail boat, but rather a catamaran. It was small to say the least but it had a nice little jacuzzi on the front of it. Guess where I was yesterday arvo.

We took to the high seas... well, around the Whitsunday Islands. The islands actually look a lot like other islands that I've seen - around Vancouver Island, around Halong Bay... so it wasn't exactly what I expected. The weather was pretty lousy for most of the trip so I wasn't able to work on my tan. I kinda look pale.... ;) j/k We visited the infamous Whitehaven Beach yesterday morning but it was POURING... I huddled under an umbrella for awhile until I was coaxed out to come play footie on the beach. Then we all went swimming b/c the water was warmer than being out in the rain. I can only imagine how beautiful it is on a sunny day.

We spent lots of time visiting little bays around the 74 islands that comprise the Whitsundays. I got to try my hand at scuba diving on Saturday afternoon. Yeah.... not so much... I gave it a go but when I was underwater, I started to panic. I don't like the feeling of not being able to adjust my goggles, respirator... the diving instructor was amazing but I just couldn't handle it. I feel trapped under water or something. Mind you, I had never snorkelled ever either, so I bailed out fairly quickly and was content to snorkel for the remainder of the trip. It was pretty phenomenal snorkelling around the reefs though. Amazing... like swimming in a fish tank or something... so many fish, so many colours.... it was amazing. I can't explain it. But there wasn't a whole lot of sleeping b/c we'd get up pretty early to go diving, etc.

Anyway, that was fun and I'm ready to head north again. Although the weather isn't looking too good... so much for this "drought" I'm headed to Magnetic Island for 3 nights... here's hoping for sunshine.....

I leave Australia in 2 weeks. Wahhh............................. *tears*

1 Comments:

  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger Hillary said…

    Suck it up, crybaby! ;)

    hehe, I'd be crying too. BUT, it just means that your'e that much closer to coming home!!! I know that might not be a big whoopie for you, but I'm looking forward to seeing you again!

    Where are you off to after Oz, again?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home