John's Greatest Adventure Ever

This blog is to document my "Greatest Adventure Ever." Over the next nine months - I will be traveling through China, SE Asia, and Oceania.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Marvelous Melbourne!

So I had a marvelous time in Melbourne earlier this week.

But just a quick update on my thoughts on the rugby game. Here's the link to the team that I watched: the Canberra Brumbies. http://www.brumbies.com.au/ In case you're wondering - a brumbie apparently is a wild horse. It's a good game. I enjoy it more than CFL - not a whole lot of stoppages. The game keeps going and it's pretty insane. And they guys don't really wear any sort of protective gear. I think they're crazy. But I enjoyed it. In contrast to the BC Lions games that I'm used to - there isn't a whole lot of music clips playing in the background during the game and there aren't any cheerleaders.

Anyway, a week later - I headed to Melbourne for a few days. I had already visited Melbourne in December but I didn't do all the touristy stuff b/c I was SO tired from traveling around Asia.

Highlights:

Phillip Island - so I got to handfeed some wallabies and kangaroos. Awwwww..... so cute. And then at sunset, all these little tiny penguins come home. It's like "Lord of the Rings" but a la bird style b/c these little penguins rally together on the shore in a group and then they have to waddle past the seagulls that are swooping at them and apparently... trying to make the penguins puke so that they can eat their food... I'm not quite sure if I heard that correctly. But it was awesome watching these little penguins. They were hilarious. The crowds would cheer for them when they made it up the beach.

Melbourne - so I've decided that if I ever immigrate to Oz, I most definitely want to live in Melbourne. It doesn't have the nice beaches that Sydney has but it's not as psycho. Shopping and dining is amazing in Melbourne. And I had a sample of a clubbing scene - yawn... my latest night out ever - i made it to 5am... ;) And that's without Red Bull! Overall, it's an amazing city. Lots of great festivals and events. I was there during the world swimming championships and Formula 1 race weekend. Craziness...

The Great Ocean Road - so they got this idea from the Pacific Highway in California. I think the coastline is more dramatic in California but it's still pretty amazing. We drove out to the bit where they have these limestone stacks on the coast of the ocean. Amazing! Wait until you see the pictures.

I was a bit sad to leave Melbourne...

Anyway, back in Canberra. The city with a god-awful bus service. At least it's not as brown and dead as it was when I first arrived. It's looking a bit greener thanks to some rain recently. Work is going well except that this week my boss asked me to write a grant proposal - yeah... never wrote one before... Other than that, I'm just planning my travels post-Canberra. Just booked my flight to Japan today! Oh yeah!

Alright, that's it for now. Catch you folks later.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey John,

    Just checkin' up on you! :) Sounds like things are going well for you.

    Love, kristin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home