John's Greatest Adventure Ever

This blog is to document my "Greatest Adventure Ever." Over the next nine months - I will be traveling through China, SE Asia, and Oceania.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sunny Days Ahead

So I'm lovin' the sunshine and the long summer days here. To be honest, I'm not super sad that there's a drought here. I'm really sorry - but I'm from rainy Vancouver. I love always looking out the window and seeing blue skies. I also don't mind the 30+ degrees weather. It's interesting though bathing with a bucket in the shower to collect "grey water." The "grey water" can then be used to water the grass. There's also a "grey water" system to re-use the washing machine water. There's all sorts of water restrictions - no watering grass, no washing cars, etc. So there's a bit of incentive to install these grey water systems. A handful of people have somewhat green grass. I went by a church the other day that actually had a sign that said that it had a specially installed irrigation system. If you can't justify why you have green grass, people get suspicious and there's even a "dob" (i.e. tattletale) line that you can call in to rat out your neighbours.

I had a good first week at work. I've been doing lots of reading on microbicides, sexual health, contraceptives etc. It's rather interesting spending a good chunk of my day reading articles on sex. I'm suppose to find a collection of articles on young women and sexual health to post on the website - ummm... you have to be careful with search engines. ;) never know what might turn up...

Last Friday was AUSTRALIA DAY! What did that mean to me? A three day weekend! Hurray! And I also went to two BBQ's that day. No shortage of food. I'm suppose to be on a diet to eat better and healthier -but I temporarily suspended that for the day.

I went for a nice walk w/ a new friend of mine the other day and I saw HEAPS of kangaroos. It doesn't really faze the Aussies here, but I still find it a novelty. I love watching kangaroos jump. And well, run away from me.

Not really much else to report. I'm just having a good time here. Work is good. CHurch is good. I'm trying to organize a games night next Sat night with some new friends from church. I plan to start a Settlers of Catan following here. I'm just adjusting to life in Canberra. I don't know what else to say. Maybe if you guys have questions for me....

3 Comments:

  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger Pomoprophet said…

    got your postcard. I love getting those. And living vicariously through you. Thanks bro!

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thanks for the postcards! love getting them, they brighten my days =)

    i think we need to start a 'grey water' system here as well. getting all geared up for thailand, so excited to be working on my tan! i am considering doing tnt again out of sheer boredom.

    -veronica

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You totally got us into settlers of catan, though I think it'll be a while before I play with Matt and Pat again! It's hilarious that 'strategic' is another way of saying - well the reason I screwed you over there was...

    T.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home