John's Greatest Adventure Ever

This blog is to document my "Greatest Adventure Ever." Over the next nine months - I will be traveling through China, SE Asia, and Oceania.

Monday, January 01, 2007

The Best New Year's Ever

So just a quick update: I did make it to the fireworks. It was sort of crazy. I walked all over town trying to get a spot in view of the Harbour Bridge. In the end, I had to watch it from behind this overpass and every once in awhile, the subway car would go by and block everyone's view and we would boo. ;) The fireworks were alright. It was just sort of surreal being there with all those people. And they even had fireworks going off from the top of the buildings lining the harbour. It was very cool. Afterwards, I went clubbing for a bit. Yeah, not a whole lot of sleep that night.

The next day, I headed to the coolest event ever: FIELD DAY Check out the website. I think the info is from last year's event but you get the idea... http://www.fuzzy.com.au/coming_up.asp?eventId=80 It's essentially a dance party that runs from 11am-11pm on New Year's Day in this big park in the middle of the city. There were over 40,000 people there last year. 3 big stages and hours upon hours of dance, electronica, techno, industrial, you name it.... it was absolutely amazing. I danced for hours upon end only breaking to drink. ;) It seemed like all of Sydney's coolest 20-30's yrs old were there just having the time of their life. Sydney people definitely know how to party and boy can they dress. Aussies hand down dress way trendier than North Americans (sorry...) I don't know how people could keep up. Well, I think I know how... b/c at one point, I was offered ectasy. You can all breathe a sigh of relief... I didn't take any. But I'll be honest. I was really curious. But I was worried what sort of effects it might have on me the first time around. Anyway, after getting sunburnt all afternoon, we got rained out and I went home after about 6-7 hours of dancing. Like I said, it was the coolest ever... Vancouver needs FIELD DAY!

Anyway, I'm in Wellington, New Zealand right now and it's freakin' cold. Its 12 degrees and everything is closed b/c it's a public holiday. Gotta go find me some grub now... HAPPY NEW YEAR!

5 Comments:

  • At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    john! i didnt peg you as a party animal, i love it!!!

    happy new year!!

    veronica

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Veronica,

    If only you knew! If only you knew!

    :)

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    new zealand! love it!

    have a blast! i miss you, friend! it will be great when you come back to vancouver. maybe we can talk about you being my roommate, at some point or another.

    mwah!

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Hillary said…

    field day sounds awesome!

    And aawww.... only 12 degrees! How ever are you surviving??? ;)

    Here's another wacky Vancouve update for you: it snowed on Friday and was really windy, and for whatever reason, a huge gaping hole ripped in the roof of BC Place and IT DEFLATED!!! No joke. It was insane.

    I'll email you with links to pictures.

    In other news, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :)

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dude - you should have taken the E! You'd dig it.

    Your Friend,

     

Post a Comment

<< Home