John's Greatest Adventure Ever

This blog is to document my "Greatest Adventure Ever." Over the next nine months - I will be traveling through China, SE Asia, and Oceania.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Playgrounds of Cambodia

Hey folks,
I'm currently sitting in an internet place in a small little town call Mongkol Borei. It's a town that is not even in the Lonely Planet - that's how off the beaten path I am at the moment. Craziness...

So I left off in Phnom Penh. I headed down to a place called Sihanoukville for 3 days and it was the beach getaway that I needed. It's right on the southern coast of Cambodia. Ít's no Southern Thailand, but it was nice beachey area. I got a guesthouse right on the beach for cheap, cheap. It was crap accommodations but that's okay, I didn't spend much time sleeping in my guesthouse. I spent plenty of time alternating between sunbathing and swimming, and getting massages, and fresh fruit right on the beach from vendors. I am now a slightly darker shade and I hope to keep working on that in Australia. It was great, I didn't do anything except sit at the beach and meet up w/ people for drinks at night. THe first night there, I was dancing till 4am, and then the second night, I passed out at 9:30pm.

After another evening in Phnom Penh, I headed to Siem Reap, the town that is located near the Temples of Angkor. It's a nice little town and I can't imagine how much money (i.e. tourists) pass through there. I haven't seen so many Asian tour groups since China! But the temples of Angkor are absolutely amazing. It is seriously the biggest playground ever. ALl you do is climb to the top of them, wander around in the ruins. Every time I saw a big tour group, I was just duck down some hallway and I end up in all these random places. There's the temple where Tombraider was filmed (All you Angelina Jolie fans). I sat on the top of Angkor Wat two nights in a row watching the sunset. I desperately wanted to post some pictures today while in Siem Reap but the power went out in the town twice. And I have some people waiting for me right now so I can't be too long.

But just wanted to catch you guys up. I've been having a blast this past week. Cambodia rocks.

Anywho, I have 48 hours left in SE Asia before I take off for HK for one night, and then it's on to AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, I'm excited.

So is there still snow in Vancouver? ;)

3 Comments:

  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger Hillary said…

    Hardy har har.... nope, all the snow is gone (though it was around for over a week)!

    It sounds amazing - I can't wait to see some more pictures. Holy smokes, I can't believe you've been gone now for... what? Three months?

    On to Australia!!! Are you going to look Cathy up in Sydney?

     
  • At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
    quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
    different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
    a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
    I made over $900 last month having fun!
    make extra money now

     
  • At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you are living the life right now! i'm so glad that you are still loving it. the snow is all gone =( so i guess no white xmas for me!

    be safe in oz- i hear there are lots of hotties over there!

    -veronica

     

Post a Comment

<< Home