John's Greatest Adventure Ever

This blog is to document my "Greatest Adventure Ever." Over the next nine months - I will be traveling through China, SE Asia, and Oceania.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Amazing Adelaide

So I just got back from Adelaide this evening. I had a GREAT time in Adelaide. Adelaide is the capital of the state of South Australia. A city of about one million people. It's known for its plethora of churches (a number of which have been turned into pubs and clubs) and doesn't have a convict settlement history like other cities in Oz. I probably wouldn't have gone if I didn't have friends there to visit. I didn't find that there was a whole lot of things to see and do. Adelaide like the rest of Australia has been pretty dry but it rained the hardest that it has in 6 months this weekend. It was like being back in Vancouver. ;) I was there to visit Michelle and Christy who I travelled with in China. We had SO much fun. They took me to Glenelg on Thurs night for dinner - which is a nice beachside neighbourhood with palm trees and cool restaurants.

South Australia is probably most well known for its wines and vineyards so on Friday morning, Michelle took me to the Barossa Valley, which is just north of the city. I was sampling wines (and buzzed) by about 11am on Friday. We visited Jacob's Creek, which is a huge and famous winery. Had lunch in Tanunda. I looked around for Tanunda Wineries, which was a case study for one of my uni marketing classes, but I guess it doesn't really exist. Then we went to see a cooking demo at Maggie Beers (apparently she's a bit of a local celebrity but I hadn't a clue), and then Rockford Winery. GOsh... you could spend days going from winery to winery - getting absolutely trashed.... ;) Too bad we didn't have more time. Friday night, headed out onto the town to meet up with more China trip alumni. We went clubbing afterwards, which was good fun. We went clubbing briefly at a place that is used to be a synagogue. It's now called "Church." It was a bit young-ish for me. I felt like I was at a high school dance when I first walked in.

All weekend long, Michelle and Christy had been joking about me being the stripper at the bridal shower they were hosting on Saturday. I was actually a bit nervous. You just never know how far the joking is going... Especially when they said they had a towel and bow tie for me. I was very much relieved when I wasn't called upon on Saturday. I did my best to help serve drinks and snacks at the bridal shower though. First ever Bridal Shower for me... interesting... So that's what women do at bridal showers.... I had a good time. In fact, I even helped to cut out paper peckers for the "Pin the Macho on the Man" game. ;) I passed on the Hen's night that took place that evening and opted to stay at home and watch DVD's instead.

Sunday- after Dim Sum in Chinatown and a short walk on the beach, I caught my flight home.
All in all, a great weekend was had.

I'll post some pics tomorrow hopefully. Now I'm off to bed...

3 Comments:

  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Hillary said…

    Hehe.... just making you sweat about it was probably worth it! ;) Sounded like fun!

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger Pomoprophet said…

    No pictures? :) I just got back from a trip of my own. Felt a bit like you galavanting around the country!

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    i loved adelaide! i spent 10 days there! my best friend was completing his cathay pilot program there.

    i absolutely loved the vinyards! mmmmm

    -veronica

     

Post a Comment

<< Home