John's Greatest Adventure Ever

This blog is to document my "Greatest Adventure Ever." Over the next nine months - I will be traveling through China, SE Asia, and Oceania.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

My BIG day in Sydney

So last week I headed up to Sydney for the Microbicide Symposium that I've been working on for the last few months. It was held on Thursday at the University of Sydney - a beautiful campus with lots of pretty heritage buildings - in total contrast to the bland block buildings of my old uni campus. We had 52 delegates in attendance with representatives from government, industry, research, community groups, and NGO's. It was a good symposium overall. I gave the scientists a bit too much time though in the morning and it got VERY technical. I was the official scribe of the day and stopped taking notes b/c I had no idea what they were talking about. In the afternoon, we had break out groups where we were able to discuss some issues more intimately and give everyone a chance to speak. I think that was the best part of the day. It was a very busy day and I was running around like crazy behind the scenes to make sure everything was in order. But it all worked out. The objective of the symposium was to bring together all the key stakeholders to discuss how we can move microbicides advocacy forward within Australia. Canada and the US, and countries in Europe, in contrast are already quite far along in terms of microbicides advocacy and R&D. Here's hoping that Australia will make some headway in the next few years as a result of this first symposium.

After the conference, a few of the delegates took me out for a beer at the pub on campus, which was fun. And the Exec Director of the Victorian AIDS Council (in Melbourne) was asking me a bit about my academic background. He said that I should consider applying for some jobs with them at the end of this year and that they've sponsored Canadians and other overseas workers. How cool would that be?!? To work and live in Melbourne. I said I would keep it in mind. I am still looking forward to moving back to Vancouver in August and seeing if I want to keep living there. I imagine that I'll probably stay... I miss Red Robin too much. ;)

I spent another few days in Sydney. Went clubbing until the wee hours of the morning again... *yawn* and even saw a play at the Sydney Opera House on Saturday arvo (read: afternoon) which was great. A sad play about someone dying of AIDS. :( But it was quite powerful.

Anyway, I'm back in Canberra now for my last week of work. I have SO much work to do this week that I'm officially overwhelmed. I have no idea how I'll get it all done so I better stop blogging now.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:54 AM, Blogger Hillary said…

    You! Can! Do! It!

    Have a great week, John! I miss you around here, eh? Looking forward to seeing you back after your next round of travels.

    ... you ARE coming back, right?????

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well said.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home