John's Greatest Adventure Ever

This blog is to document my "Greatest Adventure Ever." Over the next nine months - I will be traveling through China, SE Asia, and Oceania.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sumimasen


















































In case youre wondering, sumimasen means excuse me. I say it a lot. To get around people and stuff. Its one of three phrases that Ive learned - hello, thank you, and excuse me. Yeah, I havent made much effort to learn more unfortunately.


So Im currently in Nagasaki. Since I last wrote, Ive visited Osaka, Hiroshima, and Miyajima. Again, Im moving to a new city everyday so its pretty intense. My cough is worsening though so Ill probably call it a night pretty early tonight.

I visited the Atomic Bomb Museum in Hiroshima which was a sobering reminder of how awful nuclear war is. Theres the atomic bomb dome which is the second picture, which is one of the few buildings that were left standing after the bomb hit. Contrary to what I thought before, the bomb actually exploded 600m above the ground to maximize the impact. Everything in the area was simply burned. Craziness... people in the vicinity literally had their skin slide off their bones. It was pretty gruesome. Tomorrow I will visit the museum in Nagasaki. I imagine that itll be quite similar.

I also visited the floating torri gate just off of Miyajima - in the third picture. That gate is one of the most photographed gates in Japan. Its pretty beautiful and massive. I also climbed to teh top of the mountain on the island.

Alright thats it from me for now. Gotta go have dinner now. Theres a Chinatown in Nagasaki. Im very excited about that. Im a bit sick of Japanese food....

1 Comments:

  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Hillary said…

    I really like that first picture!

    Man, I visited the concentration camp in Dachau last summer, and THAT was sobering. I have a feeling that the memorials and museums in Hiroshima would be worse. It's good to educate ourselves, but wow. It's intense.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home