John's Greatest Adventure Ever

This blog is to document my "Greatest Adventure Ever." Over the next nine months - I will be traveling through China, SE Asia, and Oceania.

Monday, July 09, 2007

Leaving on a Jet(star) plane

Alright, so it's my last night in Singapore. Tomorrow arvo, I fly to HK (on Jetstar hence the reference in the title...) and spend the night w/ the relatives and then the next morning, I'm on my way to Tokyo. Craziness...

So I didn't get up to much my last few days in Malaysia. After climbing the mountain, I was totally lazy and spent two days at the beach, which were gorgeous by the way, if you could see from the previous picture of me w/ the Aussie flag. I spent a night in Sandakhan, which is probably one of the most boring cities to stay in. I stayed at a really nice guesthouse where every room is equipped with its own TV/DVD and the owner has a massive DVD collection to pick from. (Blood Diamond was a pretty amazing movie... totally missed the Academy Awards earlier this year but I'm guessing it did alright?) The next morning, I made the trek out to the orangutan rehabilitation centre, which was so-so. It was cool to see orangutans and I'm glad I went but it wasn't as monumental as I thought it would've been.

That night, I caught me a flight to Johor Bahru, which is the town just on the other side of the Singapore border. 3 hours later... 2 buses... 2 custom checks... and I was finally in Singapore on Saturday night. Naturally, I went clubbing and had an awesome time.

Sunday, I went to Sentosa, which is a sort of Disneyland meets island beach resort. It's a man made beach and the view is pretty ugly. The water is murky and when you look out, all you see our container ships. I mean, it's a far cry from the Borneo beaches I'd been on just a few days earlier. There's tropical music playing softly along all the footpaths, all the workers are smiley, and everything is escalator or tram accessible. No physical exertion required. it was pretty tacky but I spent a good chunk of the day there.

Now Singapore excels in shopping and eating. there's both a food and shopping festival going on currently, as if you need any more reasons to shop and eat. orchard road is lined with probably a dozen shopping centres. And I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVEEEE the hawker food stalls everywhere. Like you don't understand I love it. It's like "Richmond Night Market" but everywhere and half the price and way more types of food.

I'll be very sad to leave tomorrow. Looking forward to giving Japanese food a go though.

23 more days.....

2 Comments:

  • At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi..siew ying here...
    glad to know you enjoy.....
    haha...anywhere....have your great day.......

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okay.... I'm so lost and haven't been able to catch up with your blog. (Too many things, too little time.) Can't believe you're still travelling. Very pleased to hear that you enjoy it. Safe travels, take care! I'll write soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home