John's Greatest Adventure Ever

This blog is to document my "Greatest Adventure Ever." Over the next nine months - I will be traveling through China, SE Asia, and Oceania.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Deer, Sumo, and Geisha Hunting

Highlights over the last couple of days

Nara - its a small town outside of Kyoto. Essentially theres a big park with temples everywhere including the biggest wooden building in the world. Heaps of temples - to be honest, Im really templed out. I can do a temple in 30 seconds now - much like cathedrals by the end of Europe trip a few years ago, or wats in Thailand last year. The coolest thing about Nara though is the deer that walk around. And there are HEAPS of them. Theyre everywhere and we went up to this lady to buy deer biscuits to feed them and she said start walking and we were like what? Then I felt a deer bite my butt and I turned around and there were a few deer behind me. They were literally chasing me at one point and this Canadian girl that I was visiting Nara with has a short video of these deer coming towards me and surrounding me. Ill make sure I get the link from her when she posts it.

Geisha Hunting - if I recall correctly, there are less geishas than pandas in the world... dont quote me on that. But there is one district in Kyoto called Gion where you can go geisha spotting. I spent the last few nights walking the alleyways of Gion looking for geishas to photograph. Im proud to admit that I was successful. Ill post pics later.

Sumo - one thing that I definitely wanted to watch was a sumo tournament in Japan and I lucked out because its not year round. I had to go to Nagoya for it and my friends and I made it into a day trip. Saw a lot of ass that day...more than enough for a lifetime I think. But who doesnt like watching fat people in literally a G-string push each other around. ;)

Anyway, I think theres a line of people waiting to use the internet so Ill sign off for now.

More later and hopefully pics too.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You really made it to "Hello Kitty Land"!!!!! I think you really have to admit that you acutal LOVE Hello Kitty and Dear Daniel! Have fun in Japan!
    Grace

     

Post a Comment

<< Home