John's Greatest Adventure Ever

This blog is to document my "Greatest Adventure Ever." Over the next nine months - I will be traveling through China, SE Asia, and Oceania.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

More Pictures and Shanghai








I'm now in a small town at the foot of Huangshan (Yellow mountain) typing away in an internet bar. The bar owner is walking around w/ a fly swatter. I'd give him that electric one that they sell at the RIchmond Night Market ifI had one. The flies are a bit annoying right now. *thwap, thwap* He just hit the back of my chair just now. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits me next. Oh well....

So from Suzhou, we caught a train to Shanghai. The city is freakin' massive. An estimated population of 20 million people. It's pretty overwhelming. The first thing I like to do is go to the top of a city. And in Shanghai- you go to the top of the Jinmao Tower. 88 stories high. It's the third tallest building in the world (the CN Tower is the tallest structure still I think but buildingwise- Jinmao is No. 3). Looking out at the top was pretty phenomenal - buildings and more buildings as far as the eye can see. It's like New York but bigger.

To be continued...

Picture Descriptions -
1) Yummy insects on skewers at the food stalls in Beijing
2) Flying my kite inTianneman Square
3) In front of the North Gate at Forbidden City
4) A very typical sight in China- the squatting that is, not the foreigners
5) The concubine waiting room in the Forbidden City
6) Another very common sight in China. All the tour groups are distinguishable (sp?) by their coloured hats. I'm glad we don't have coloured hats for our tour group.
7) Another palace inside the Forbidden City

2 Comments:

  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger Hillary said…

    Oh come on, you loooove the coloured hats. ;)

    Did you try an insect skewer? I'd like to think that I would be adventurous and do that, but uhhh... yeah, I don't think I would!

    Great photos, John!

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger Joe Moderate said…

    ::gag::

    John, the insect-ka-bobs look soooooo gross! But your other pictures are stunning.

    Miss you...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home