John's Greatest Adventure Ever

This blog is to document my "Greatest Adventure Ever." Over the next nine months - I will be traveling through China, SE Asia, and Oceania.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Two ducks for $5

So I'm now in Yangshuo - a small town just outside of Guilin in the Guanxi province in China. We left Hong Kong early on Monday morning and took the hydrofoil up to Guangzhou.

Guangzhou is the 3rd largest city in China after Beijing and Shanghai. A tremendous amount of commerce and business occurs in this city. We just stopped in for lunch in this city before taking the overnight train to Guilin.

I had my first encounter with a bathroom in China... OMIGOSH....

So it's mid-Autumn festival week in China so many Chinese people are on holidays. The trains are especially busy at this time. The Guangzhou station was no exception. I am in full support of China's one child policy if the craziness and the sheer amount of people at the station is any indication of what China is like and the amazing pressures it must exert on resources: water, food, energy. It is INSANE! Personal space? what personal space?

At first I was being polite but now I've learned to push and move your way through lines esp. when getting on trains. It's not being impolite - it's just about survival.

But yeah = back to the washroom. So I've been warned what the washrooms are like - but nothing prepared me for this. The urinals were overflowing, men were standing 2-3 feet back from the urinals, pretty much peeing on the floor. It was a small lake in there. And I caught a quick glimpse at the No. 2 stalls if you know what I mean... Again, because of the sheer number of people - it was literally a mound of sh*t. The squat hole was overflowing... Did I mention that all the pipes for the sinks were sitting on top of the sinks? Thank God for hand sanitizer and towelettes....

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed that story.

The train was interesting. Six little beds - three on top of each other in an open compartment. Oddly enough, I had my best sleep on the overnight train last night of all the nights that I've been overseas. I think just b/c I'm so tired. But yeah, we just chatted late into the night, getting to know the group (who are VERY awesome), and the lights go out at 10pm.

We arrived in Guilin at 6:30am and then transferred by bus to Yangshuo, which is a beautiful town. So beautiful. It reminds me of a Chinese version of the English city of Chester. The tourist section in particular is immaculate. Cobble stone roads, the slanted roofs, lanterns hanging everywhere. And hawkers everywhere! As you walk by - they call out to you - "Hello, Tshirt" "Hello banana" Not because they think you're a banana or t-shirt" but because they're selling things to you.

It really is dirt cheap. I think you can get any imitation name brand you want here. It's amazing once you get to places like China - you start getting really cheap and scrooge like. People have told me this before but I didn't really believe them. But I find myself bargaining to save even 1 Yuan, which is the equivalent of like 10-15cents.

My mandarin is actually coming along quite nicely so far. I managed to get into short conversations w/ people here. It's sort of ironic. The woman selling copies of Mao's book hasn't even read it. So this little poor girl comes up to me selling these little wooden ducks.

I look beyond her and see an old woman did buck teeth in a straw hat. I start to talk to her and ask if the little girl is her daughter. She says that it's her granddaughter. I ask her how old she is - she's 5 yrs old. The granddaughter starts pleading w/ me to buy the ducks. But I refuse. "But it's to help her to go to school, to get books..." My heart is melting of course but I dunno - I say no. No thanks. I don't need a pair of little wooden ducks.

I walk away and I've only gone a few metres when the little girl comes chasing after me. I've caught up now w/ the rest of my friends from the group but she keeps begging me to buy these litlte ducks. Pulling on my shirt. I must've said "Bu yao" a million times which means I don't want it.

I'm now a reluctant owner of a pair of ducks, which I paid 5 yuan for - not even $1 CND. It didn't exactly break my wallet. The grandmother looked quite happy. I'm happy for them.

Sigh...

Anyway, I better go now. We're going on a cruise of the Li River shortly. From the pictures - it looks amazing...

I will try to get some pictures posted next time. Promise.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. It's great reading them and hearing from you. I think of you guys from time to time. Take care ! :D

10 Comments:

  • At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey! Have you come across an English copy of Mao's book? I'm looking for one.

    As for Guangzhou, I'm glad we left it. :o)

    Love reading the stories!!

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger Hillary said…

    You're such a softie! It's great!

    Um, as for the bathrooms... ew. LOL.

    You sound like I was on my blog this summer: "I'll post pictures soon, I promise..." Hee hee. It's so hard to get them from the camera to the computer to the blog. If you can't, you know there's always the option of having everyone over for a feast when you get back. I'll be expecting that, eh? ;)

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey John, seems you are having fun in China!! It's really not that bad, right? =)

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey John, Isn't China great. Make sure you check out the Hard Seat Cafe when you are in Yangshuo.

    Keep the stories coming.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey John - sounds like a great adventure so far. Can't wait to see the pictures!

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    john, you must NOT buy from every little girl that comes up to you crying! that's all part of their master plan. trust me, all that money will end up and you will just end up with a whole crap load of useless stuff!

    glad to see that you are having a great time, i'm still very jealous!

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oops that was me, veronica =)

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Blogger debbie said…

    mandarin too?!?!

    that's quite possibly the worst bathroom story i've ever heard...esp the #2 stalls...i could just imagine it (reluctantly!) as i was reading....eeew... "bu yao" as you would say :P

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Traumatic bathroom story! Yikes. I think that would make me cry. I'm not quite the experienced world traveler you are! Anyways, have a fantastic time...looking forward to hearing more of your adventures.

    Kristin

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger Joe Moderate said…

    That was freakin' disgusting, John! I never told you about the squatty potties in Uzbekistan now, did I? Belah bleah bleah.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home