John's Greatest Adventure Ever

This blog is to document my "Greatest Adventure Ever." Over the next nine months - I will be traveling through China, SE Asia, and Oceania.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Coming full circle

So later that afternoon, we did visit the area where parts of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was filmed. It was alright - no big deal. The coolest thing though was splurging on being carried around in a sedan chair for a bit. I got carried around in a chair by two men (who were huffing and puffing as they went up the stairs... sorry, I knew I shouldn't have eaten that extra spring roll). It was pretty sweet. I'll try to post some pictures before I leave HK.

The next day I left from Shanghai. I got to ride the Maglev train to the airport. You know - those magnetic levitation ones... apparently they don't touch the tracks or something. Highest speed on that train was 430km/h - holy cow... we got to the airport in about 6 minutes. My flight was delayed so I had a bit of time to hang out in Shanghai's new airport. In the bookstore, I stumbled across English language magazines (Time, Newsweek) - the first time in a month that I had laid eyes on an English magazine.

Here I am in HK again. I've come a full circle. It's been exactly a month since I left Vancouver. It feels like so much longer. This last month has been AMAZING. I feel bolder and more daring in my ability to travel. I feel more well-rounded. Flying into HK this time - same night views, same arrival time actually - 7:45pm. I didn't feel any anxiety. It was so amazing. It actually felt a bit like coming home. Mainly b/c my Cantonese is better than my Mandarin.

It's weird seeing HK after being in China for a month. I didn't realise that there was such a difference. For one thing - everything in China is about 1/2 the price of things in HK - actually, less than half. Even the most expensive beers in the bar areas of Shanghai are about average price here in HK. The people in HK are far more trendier, more sophisticated and it's a lot more glamorous here - again, compared to even Shanghai. HK is very different from the rest of China. I also don't have to really worry about getting hit by a bike or a motorbike in HK - there aren't too many of that. That and the sound of spitting isn't as frequent. Oh, and the biggest difference...? Guess who just visited Krispy Kreme this morning. OH YEAH BABY! It's about a 5 minute walk from my guesthouse. ;)

I'm not doing too many touristy things in HK this time around. Went for Dim sum w/ the family just now and got a haircut. I loved the hair/shampoo massage thing - I could've fallen asleep in the chair. Although, the guy didn't really cut my hair the way that I"m used to and wanted. It's so much more poofier - you know - that Asian style - lots of hair... do you know what I"m talking about? It was more of a trim.

Anyway, just chilling until Sunday when I take off for Thailand.

Some people have asked if I'm homesick. To be honest - not really. I"m still really digging this travel thing. It's just so amazing. The thought of going home actually turns me off. Heck, I'm even toying with the idea of extending my trip................ we'll see about that one.

Hope you're all doing well. I do think of you guys from time to time. *HUG*

1 Comments:

  • At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maaaaate! :D

    Welcome back 'home' to Hongkers. Hope you get some time to chillax there before we hit Thailand up.

    Goodness...three days til I fly outta Oz! I may turn my mind to packing some day soon, lol. I'm so not heaps worried, I always pack last minute.

    Um, so I love that you got carried up some mountain/steps! Haha. That's totally uber-cool and tres decadent.

    Just went for one last run here before my departure. Said goodbye to all the skippy-roos along the track for 7 weeks.

    Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Cheers,

    Phil

     

Post a Comment

<< Home